Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care (QCF)
This qualification aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia. It covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication methods, issues around the use of medication for those with dementia and the importance of providing appropriate activities.
Unit 1 – Dementia Awareness
- Understand what dementia is
- Understand key features of the theoretical models of dementia
- Know the most common types of dementia and their causes
- Understand factors relating to an individual’s experience of dementia.
Unit 2 – The person-centered approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Understand approaches that enable individuals with dementia to experience well-being
- Understand the role of carers in the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Understand the role of others in the support of individuals with dementia.
Unit 3 – Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individual who have dementia
- Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Understand how a person-centered approach may be used to encourage positive communication with individuals with dementia
- Understand the factors which can affect interactions with individuals with dementia.
Unit 4 – Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Understand and appreciate the importance of diversity of individuals with dementia
- Understand the importance of person-centred approaches in the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Understand ways of working with a range of individuals who have dementia to ensure diverse needs are met.
Unit 5 – Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centered approach
- Understand the common medications available to and appropriate for individuals with dementia
- Understand how to provide person-centred care to individuals with dementia through the
- appropriate and effective use of medication.
Unit 6 – Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Understand that behaviour is often used as a means of communication
- Understand how to respond to behaviours associated with dementia
- Understand why some people with dementia will need additional emotional support.
Unit 7 – Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
- Understand the impact of activity on physical and mental well-being
- Understand the social benefits of activities
- Understand how activity can be the basis for a model of care and support.
Each unit is followed by a written tutor marked assignment (TMA), which is submitted and then marked by your tutor. You will not be required to take an external exam.
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Level 2 NCFE certificate of achievement. That means that it is independently accredited at a level of learning equivalent to Level 2 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Accreditation by NCFE is a guarantee of quality. It means that this learning programme has been scrutinised and approved by an independent panel of experienced educational professionals and is quality audited biannually by NCFE.
NCFE is recognised as an awarding body by the qualification regulators (‘regulators’) for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The regulators are the Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator (Ofqual) in England, the Department for Children, Education, Lifelong Learning and Skills (DCELLS) in Wales and the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) in Northern Ireland.
You have up to a year to complete this course. The guided and recommended study hours is 45. This is usually ample time for learners, even with full time jobs and other commitments. Don’t worry if you go over the year though. We can organise an extension to your course for a small fee, which also extends your tutor support.
Our course is delivered via our online learning platform as this provides learners with a dynamic and engaging experience. Don’t worry, if you prefer, you can print the learning materials yourself. The learning resources are in a range of different media including videos, e-books, and online quizzes.
Q: Tell me about my Tutor Support?
You will have access to your personal tutor, via email, who will mark your assignments and guide you through the course to help you get ready for your examinations. In addition, you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process. This is especially useful if you haven’t studied for a while.
Q: What skills are needed to enrol onto this course?
You don’t need any prior skills in the subject area to start this course.
Q: What is included in the cost of my course?
We provide all the specially written learning materials you require to study this course at home. The course fee also includes tutor support for 12 months.
Q: Are there any additional costs?
You will receive everything you need to complete this course within the study pack we send to you.
Q: Is there a required reading list?
No, all of the study materials are supplied within your learning pack.
Q: Do I have to sit an exam?
No, this course is assessed by coursework alone.
Q: What if I live outside the UK?
That’s fine, this course can be studied anywhere and is completed by submitting Tutor marked assignments (TMAs).
Q: What do I do if I still have questions?
Please check Contact Us, we are happy to answer any questions you have.
|Difficulty||Level 2, a similar difficulty to GCSEs|
|Study Hours||Up to 123 hours which is under 40 minutes per day for 6 months.|
|Minimum Entry Age||You need to be at least 16 years old to take this qualification.|
|Study Method||Paper based study|
|Official Qualification Title||NCFE Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes